The article is for informational purposes and is compiled according to the official instructions
The main purpose of finasteride is to treat benign prostatic hypertrophy, reduce the concentration of dihydrotestosterone in the body and control androgynous alopecia (androgynous alopecia). However, the drug has gained popularity among bodybuilders and athletes as an effective means of reducing the side effects of taking steroids.
This is the latest-generation formula, which has proven to be effective in the prevention and treatment of severe androgenic alopecia. This is its main use in bodybuilding.
Mechanism of action
Androgenic alopecia is the result of an imbalance of androgenic hormones. Steroid courses often contribute to this imbalance, and there can also be a genetic predisposition to it. As testosterone is converted by steroids into dihydrotestosterone - the biologically active form of this hormone and, in fact, the strongest natural androgenic hormone in the human body - its concentration in blood increases significantly, which leads to severe alopecia.
The 5-alpha reductase type 2 enzyme is responsible for this conversion. Finasteride inhibits the activity of this enzyme, so that the level of dihydrotestosterone does not exceed the permissible level. Taking the drug also helps to reduce the concentration of the hormone in the body.
Effect of Finasteride
In addition, Finasteride has a complex effect on the body:
- contributes to the shrinking of the prostate gland;
- reduces the risk of urinary retention in the body;
- increases the rate of urination;
- reduces the concentration of dihydrotestosterone in all body tissues;
- prevents the development of alopecia during a course of steroid use;
- Reduces the side effects of androgenic drugs.
Being the newest drug, Finasteride is highly absorbable. This contributes to a rapid onset of the effect, within 24 hours after the first dose you can see the result.
How to take and what dosage to take
Finasteride is intended for oral administration. The use does not depend on meals and is allowed at any time of the day. The dosage is determined on the basis of individual characteristics and ranges from 1 mg to 5 mg per day.
The drug has a long-lasting effect, it is metabolized for 8 hours and has high bioavailability. It binds well to plasma proteins and combines with all testosterone esters and other highly endogenous substances.
When taking steroids, Finasteride can be used during the whole course. Athletes with a genetic predisposition to androgenic alopecia may be advised to take the drug regularly.
- decreased potency and/or libido,
- impaired ejaculation,
- Reduced ejaculate volume,
- Enlarged and painful mammary glands,
- Increased blood levels of LH and FSH,
- Reduced concentration of prostate-specific antigen,
- Allergic reactions (rash, pruritus, urticaria, swelling of the lips and face).
The incidence of side effects does not exceed 3-4% and decreases during treatment.
The official contraindications to the drug, as stated by the manufacturer, are:
- Childhood or adolescence;
- Childbearing period of life in women;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- Hypersensitivity or allergy to components of the product.
The use of Finasteride in case of hepatic insufficiency and obstructive uropathy is not recommended, although it is permissible with due caution.
It is also worth considering that taking the drug does not have a direct effect on the performance of the person taking it, but it has an indirect effect. The evidence on this is controversial, but the possibility of an effect should not be overlooked.